In 1966, a small group of Hindu families, living in and around Wimbledon, began to meet together to pray and observe Hindu cultural traditions.
In 1978 in the absence of a permanent Hindu Temple in London, our Founder (Mr ATS Ratnasingham) bought a traditionally made Panchaloga statue of Lord Ghanapathy (still in the Temple today) from India and hired a Hindu priest to lead regular Friday services in local halls in Wimbledon, gaining spiritual comfort that helped reflect the religious traditions of our homeland.
As the years went by, more and more devotees began to attend the services, and the need for a permanent, sanctified building, dedicated to Hindu worship, became a priority.
In 1980 with the assistance of Sir Cyril Black (MP for Wimbledon 1950-1970), we found and purchased the Churchill Halls in Wimbledon and within a year, we transformed the dilapidated buildings, into the Shree Ghanapathy Temple.
The Temple had its Maha Kumbabishekam (consecration ceremony) in September 1981, and became the first fully consecrated Hindu Temple in Europe. The adjoining church hall had been converted into a Sai Mandir - the first of its kind in Europe, in January 1981 and thus began a union of ancient and modern Hinduism that has grown from strength to strength.
Since the first service in September 1981, we have grown and adapted to the changing needs of our community, adopting a holistic approach in providing for the spiritual, moral and emotional needs of Temple devotees. We also seek to make a positive contribution to the wider community within the UK, through our many voluntary projects, educational programmes and interfaith work.